Monday, July 23, 2007

The Proposal

A Surprise Birthday Present

December 2, 2005. I woke up that day feeling special... It was my 25th birthday. Dek and I decided to take the day off work to spend the day together. Since we'd be meeting my family for a birthday dinner, Dek decided he'd arrange for our lunch. By around 10am, he arrived at my house holding a beautiful bouquet of flowers. I remember I kept on asking Dek why it seems that he lacked sleep (I thought it was because we went out the night before) and his only reply was that he had a hard time falling asleep. We left the house for lunch by 11am... our destination, The Powerplant Mall. Things were beginning to turn bad when we got stuck in traffic and I was starting to get annoyed at Dek since we couldn’t find the restaurant (hahaha, I can be a little cranky when I’m hungry). We then decided to just park and find another restaurant at the mall. When we got to the parking area, I noticed that he wasn’t turning the engine off so I looked at him and said “tara na?” He looked so serious that time. He then turned to me and asked if I’m not wondering why he didn’t give me any birthday gift. I said no since I wasn’t expecting anything and I was very happy with the flowers. But then he said he did have something for me and slowly reached over the backseat and got a box. I smiled with what I saw. It was a pink box. The same box I used the day we became a couple. I’ll never forget the things he said that day… He said that the place was so memorable for him and he wanted to make it memorable for me too. He opened the box and I instantly saw that it was filled with crinkles. I was so touched that time since I knew he stayed up late to bake the cookies (and yeah, at that moment I thought that was his gift). He asked if I wanted to take a bite and urged me to take the one in the middle. As I took the cookie, I saw a smaller box underneath it. I took it out and saw that it was a jewelry box. It only occurred to me that it was going to be the moment when Dek took the box from me and opened it. I'll never forget the things he said to me that time... He told me that he wanted to spend his whole life with me and asked, “Will you marry me?” Emotions were high that time even more when I saw Dek crying. I knew that I found the man I’d want to spend my life with. My answer? Of course I said yes with the biggest grin on my face! We were so happy that we even forgot that we haven’t eaten lunch yet… I even told Dek jokingly, “kahit sa jollibee na lang tayo kumain, ok lang sakin.” It was truly the best birthday present I’ve ever gotten… the gift of spending my life with Dek forever.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home